Friday 6 April 2012

Region 2, Guyana continued...

So, the trip to Region 2 was on the way as you would have noticed in the last post. Four of us left out, but I wasn't sure that four were coming back. At least not the same route. Both the other girls with us had originally wanted to take the ferry - the SLOW boat from Parika. But, since we were taking the boat so many times, I'm not sure how that would have helped them significantly. One was a little more verbal about how frightened she was, so I kept an eye on her during the trip. But, she seemed relatively okay, and all was well.

The day we arrived in Charity was market day and it was swarming with people, stalls and just general activity. Now, this is not a covered market. People just have stalls set up on the side of the streets. I was amazed at the things being sold commonly on the streets... jewellery, mattresses, electronics of all sizes and kinds, major appliances, the works!
Notice the corset on the 1st mannequin? Separate blog for that! :)

Garden hose, generator, saw, LCD TV anyone?

Need I say MORE?
I didn't have the nerve to take pictures of the many vendors with their little cases with watches, chains, bracelets, earrings, etc. I was worried they may think I was setting up to rob them. :) Many of the vendors had a lot of Brazilian footwear. Now with Guyana's proximity to Brazil this was not surprising. They were very nice too. But, I think I'll wait until my trip to Brazil before buying any. :)

Another feature I noticed was the chalkboard with the comparitive prices of goods in this market and in one of the Georgetown markets.

Someone mentioned that the prices may not have been that accurate, but, at least someone was trying. :)






As you can see from the following pics, the harbour was quite busy, reflecting the numbers of people who had come to Charity to buy and sell. Also, remember, there was going to be partying at the club later!!!
Boats parked up with market vendors in background
Boats parked across the harbour. Some goods waiting to go out

We did see crates and crates of drinks, furniture (three pc sofa set and wardrobe), all kinds of things waiting to cross the river. Remember, if you want it on the other side of the Pomeroon River, you pretty much have to get it there by boat - or do without. :)
Even a container was waiting to be transported away
After trying out some Curried Labba (do I have to remind you what Labba is?)... http://bjanice1.blogspot.com/2012/02/past-days.html   and also http://bjanice1.blogspot.com/2012/02/catching-up.html
Basically, if you don't want to click on the links I'll remind you that Guyanese say... If you eat Labba and drink Black Water you will return to Guyana.... hmmm. But I tried the curry labba anyway. :) We went to our rooms at the Purple Heart Hotel and tried to relax for the evening. We had some plantain chips - a popular item in Guyana. This is sold on the Sea Wall on a sunday night and it's great. It is fried green plantains. We have this in Jamaica too, although we cook it slightly differently. Addictive...

As we bummed around I noticed my room was full of wild life... 5 crickets and a peenie wallie as we call them in Jamaica. This is a firefly or lightning bug. In Jamaica we always used to try and catch them as they lit up the night around us. Here, I just let it sit on the toilet tank. Later when a baby croaking lizard came in under the door, I decided that I'd had enough. I helped him back outside, and I won't tell you what became of the creature... But, he shouldn't have come in!

Soon afterwards the music from the club below started. Now, I'm used to LOUD music, I have been clubbing and the like, but THIS was ridiculous!!!!  The floor was vibrating and the walls appeared as if they were going to crack. Every insect in the world disappeared. It was a loooooong night!!! Purple Heart? Not again on a Monday!

2 comments:

  1. LMAO....wooii, you are so hilarious! What did you do to / with the lizard? The walls appeared as if they were going to crack? LOL.

    Seriously....mattresses....stoves...washing machines and what was that large item being hoisted by a paint tin? At a second glance, it could be a freezer! DAMN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lizard will not bear children. I put him out, but some kids were running past at the moment and he ran right back into the room under the door. So I had to put him out AGAIN. And at that point I decided... not gonna deal with him a 3rd time...

      Delete