Wednesday 15 February 2012

Catching up

Walking around Georgetown on the weekend really grounded my sense of where I am. And my bonafide new "bredren" was great in showing me the ropes. The potluck was also good fun and a good opportunity to meet some "old" "senior" volunteers.
Today we had a break from the office/classroom. We went to Madewini Gardens. Nestled in the woods on the beautiful banks of the Madewini creek. Guyanese say that if you eat labba and drink black water while visiting Guyana, you are bound to return. (Labba is a small agouti or South American rodent that is eaten in a dark stew called "pepper pot"; "Black water" is the water of muddy streams.

In any event we had a couple of lessons, one of them being on vegetables in Guyana.

Before and after, there was "volleyball" and swimming in the black creek.



 
 And then I went swimming...

11 comments:

  1. Lawd a mi....cyan get ova di hot water story LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to C the picture of u in the black creek then i will believe u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly you don't realize that the pic of me in the pool is the one of me swimming. I only went into the black creek calf deep. lol

      Delete
    2. You are brave to have gone in the black creek...mi nuh care if is calf deep lol

      Delete
    3. When are u gonna eat the "labba' and drink the Black water. so u can tell us the taste

      Delete
  3. American rodent eaten in a dark stew? YUCK to the 100th power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see what it looks like... maybe will taste. we'll see. when in rome...

      Delete
    2. Yes, but it doesn't insinuate that you have to eat all of their dishes....you just need to conform to the behaviour of the natives. I admire your attitude. Good luck to you!

      Delete
    3. Have you tasted the stewed rodent yet?

      Delete
  4. NEED A NUMBER FOR THIS RESORT

    ReplyDelete