Sunday 22 July 2012

More about Guyana!

There are many many things I find strange about Guyana. Some I still have yet to share. Did you for example know that the languages in Guyana included English, Hindu, Urdu, Amerindian and Creole? Did you know that the 2002 census indicated that 57% of Guyanese were Christian? Okay, so 2002 was a long time ago, but still, in Guyana, the more things change the more they remain the same. The numbers are not necessarily far off. Other religions here include Hinduism, Muslims, Rastafarians. And everyone gets along like one big happy family.

Now, remember that Georgetown, Guyana hosts the St. George's Cathedral, one of the tallest wooden churches in the world. And I know I've driven through areas where I've been told that there's a church on EVERY street. So, churches and religion have definitely made their mark here.

I, however have been to church on more than one Sunday morning and seen less than a dozen people in the church. Yes, eventually the numbers swell to a whopping 25 or so (yes, I counted), but where are the masses? Who to tell, but I do know one thing, I've sat in amazement and watched cars go by everyday with some declaration on them... They're quoting scripture, They have pictures of the bible, praying hands, crosses, wreaths with bible verses written inside. Anything you can think of that gives the impression that Christians abound!  I guess they don't go to church, they just pray in their cars...






2 comments:

  1. LMAO...."I guess they don't go to church, they just pray in their cars". Yuh a di best...so hilarious lol.

    I'm impressed about St. George's Cathedral..YEAH GUYANA!

    ReplyDelete