Saturday 10 March 2012

Region 1


How excited could I be to be going to Region 1??? THIS excited. I know you probably can’t imagine how much, but let’s just say... I’m grinning from ear to ear.
So, my colleague and I got to the airport and I was duly weighed, then my bags were weighed, tickets handed in, and we took off for Mabaruma. 

Hotoquai Primary

Notice all the bags just stashed in front? WTH??
We headed straight for the Education office and made arrangements for trips to visit the national volunteer teachers in their placement schools. The first trip was to Hotoquai. Now, maybe I should stop about my experience long enough to give you some facts about Guyana.
The 10 Administrative Regions

 Guyana is divided into 10 Administrative Regions. Not parishes, not provinces, not states. Regions.  I live in Georgetown in Region 4. Everywhere else is kinda “country”. So, we refer to them as “the regions” even though they all have names. I don’t know the names, so I will just continue to tell you about my trip to Region 1. Now you do remember what the name Guyana means? Yes, previous blogs are important, and although there is no exam there will be a pop quiz every now and then.
Heading out from the boathouse
So, because of this land of many rivers, quite often travel here involves a boat. So, part of the arrangements we were making was for a boat and driver to take us to the community. Now, I remember before I got here reading blogs of previous visitors, seeing a pic of someone on a river and thinking, “bwoy, shi brave sah! I would be scared to do that”. It seems however, either I was mistaken, or the trip in the 12-seater plane for one whole hour took away all fear. It was FUN!!!  Did I spell that correctly? F-U-N!!!

 I had a blast bumping up and down in the boat as we sped along. I was particularly happy I had not really had breakfast as I remember the days with Doctors Webbers  out in the Kingston Harbour, Discovery Bay and beyond. Also remember being sick on the Dive Boat in Port Antonio one day. But, as we zig-zagged and flip-flopped (that would be how I describe the bumping over the rough waters), I had a good time, and an hour later we were climbing up unto dry land. This again of particular note as it did not remain dry for long...
As we approached the first building and I started to slow down, I noted that my colleague was still "walking strong". And I gazed further up the hill to realize we were a looooong way off from the school. Oh well. I could dream, but it wasn’t gonna help, so I kept going.

It was an interesting day, but I'll let the pics say the rest...
Lunch arriving up the hill...
Volleyball game in session. Can you see the ball?
Heading out... Looking back up the hill

No comments:

Post a Comment