Tuesday 21 August 2012

Power cuts and Pholourie in Guyana!

 Today I got into work and there was no electricity. (again). It doesn't happen frequently, but it DOES happen. When there's no electricity there's no air conditioning or fans, no computers, no internet, therefore... no work! But, we had to do the right thing and hang around for hours on end... waiting... waiting.

Did you realize that when there's no power, it means you can't heat up your cold food that was in the fridge? hmmm. So, no lunch either.

So, we went home early. YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!  Hope I didn't sound too excited there, but WHO DOESN'T LIKE TO GO HOME EARLY???

But, of course, when you live as close to work as I do... it means there's probably no power at home either. So, what does one do when there's no electricity?

Try to make pholourie! Here's my first attempt at it...
=======================>

I wanted to give you a good idea of what pholourie is, so I looked it up on the internet. But apparently no one has attempted to really explain what it is, though there are many recipes up and about! Well, it's all about the split peas. Some people use split pea powder. The traditionalists soak their split peas then blend them with garlic, etc in a little water. This is seasoned with curry, gheera, pepper and whatever else you like. A little flour is added and then a batter is made. This is then deep fried and served with sour or achar, but I just eat them plain! They are sold all over Guyana and one of my loves. (Hence the 10lbs I haven't lost).

This is what my finished batch looked like...


2 comments: