Saturday 2 June 2012

Entertainment in Georgetown

Now, I'd heard before I came to Guyana that there were lots of concerts in Georgetown, rum bars and dominoes. But, where does everything come to life? Seriously. I don't know. It doesn't appear that there's a whole lot to do in Georgetown. And this may be true of lots of places, but I guess if you already have lots of friends and are truly established with car, TV, DVD player, XBox and whatever else you need to make your fun, then you probably don't notice it. If you're home with your family making dinner, doing laundry and playing with the kids, then you're probably too tired to wonder where to go on a weekend.

For the rest of us, we've been getting by going to potlucks whenever another volunteer is saying "goodbye" and heading back home from Guyana. THIS has been the main source of entertainment for us volunteers. Yes, there are fish shops and rum bars, but I haven't had the good fortune? to visit one of these yet. And I surely haven't seen any domino games being played. I did glimpse a pool table in one rum bar, and I do know there's one entertainment complex on Sherriff Street. But, really? Where to go???

A couple of weeks ago there was a European Film Festival and there were films being featured for maybe 5 nights a week for two weeks. One night featured two films from Guyana. Sadly, I missed it all. :( And it was important for me to go to that, because there's no real cinema in Georgetown to frequent. Your best bet is to buy pirated DVDs cheap on the street. Because many people set up shop on different corners with rows and rows of dvds being offered.

Ready to go Welcome Jamrock!
I do know that Tanya Stephens has performed here this year (I can't believe I missed THAT, but nobody bothered to tell me about it until AFTER she'd gone).

Last Saturday however, was Independence Day here. This was celebrated by a Food and Family Festival being held just outside the main town. And guess who performed? Damian "Junior Gong" Marley! Oh ye! It was interesting as the night went on to see the crowd that gathered for his performance. Oh! 


What Night! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! It was a good night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool....did Junior Gong "mash up" di place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, of course. I was a little embarrassed for the Guyanese performers as 1. People did not come out and support them, but seemed to wait until they thought it was time for Marley to perform, and 2. Their style of performances were a little old-fashioned and sedate and you could see that the small crowd that was there was not as enthused. Things definitely picked up once Marley came out!!

    ReplyDelete