Sunday 8 July 2012

5 months in Georgetown!

Hard to believe that I've been in Guyana this long! Who would've thunk it? I don't feel like it's been five months. Do you? LOL. I remember when the opportunity arose, telling everyone, packing to come here and being slightly nervous. I remember thinking it's just a year - not forever, and I remember wondering if I'd make it for the year! Could I be an International volunteer? Would I like Guyana? Could I survive on a stipend? Would I be bored, lonely? Would I hate it?? And now, it's been FIVE MONTHS! So, take that!!

So, I ended up going out two nights in the past week. Once to the Hotel Tower for Karaoke/Happy Birthday party, and once to Night Cap Cafe for goodbye drinks. Both for VSO volunteers. Seems like a lot of VSO volunteers are saying goodbye these days. There are a lot of changes at VSO Guyana, one of the main ones being that they're about to become CUSO Guyana and so they are not taking in a lot of new volunteers this year until the dust has settled. So, we're dwindling in numbers... :(  Lotta "goodbyes", but not a lot of "welcomes".

These guys sell CDs from their karts
In any event, I continued with a lazy weekend (does it have to rain every sunday?) and watched the music cart go past again. I hear him long before he goes by, and I can't help but look through the window when he does. He's louder than the cars that cruise by booming music!!!

In Georgetown, there are a lot of guys selling pirated dvds too. And they're cheap. $100 each (about US or Cdn $0.50). They set up on the roadside and just literally stack them up like they're in a dvd store. I've even seen one guy just lay them down on the "sidewalk". It's not really a sidewalk, just a dirt patch on the side of the road. Imagine them doing that in Canada!

And then there's the other guy who goes by, not sure what he's selling, but his music is JUST as loud!

Selling food? Not sure
What I'm trying to figure is... can I just order my meals from this guy below and have him bring it hot everyday???

2 comments:

  1. 5 months already! I didn't ever doubt that you would survive. You have a tendency to make the best of every challenge that comes your way. You turn your obstacles into stepping stones. Way to go sis! Also, you are JAMAICAN! We are born survivors!

    How you get the pics to look so clear from your bedroom window?...I'm assuming lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, from the bedroom window... through the glass. lol.

    Thx for the Kudos!!! One love!

    ReplyDelete