Wednesday 1 August 2012

Emancipation Day - Guyana

Did I mention that I was going to Swari in Region 5, Guyana? Well, let me tell you what I've learned. When you're gathering information in Guyana, always, and I mean ALWAYS, try to verify this information in some way.

When I asked about this Swari, I tried to find out from many people what it was all about. I couldn't get a straight answer. Some said it was like Mash (Mashramani), Others said it was the Afro Guyanese celebrations with people dressing up, drums, dancing, etc. I was curious. I went, I saw, I'm back.

First thing I have to tell you is this. On the way BACK from Berbice I passed a banner that had been posted on the side of the road. I didn't get to read all the details as we zoomed past at 80km/hr, but I did catch one word in it... SOIREE.  Oooooookaaaaaaaaaaaay then!!!!  So, NOW I know what they've been talking about all this time. Geez. Why didn't anyone just say so? Of course, with the accent that I'm still trying to understand - and their bastardized spelling of the French word, it has become Swari, and Soiree was far removed from my thoughts. Hmm.

Anyhow, it was a big street party with much music, much food and drink and much fashion. Ohhhh the fashion! Guyanese fashion is like no other. But, I will get into that another day. People were up and down greeting each other, enjoying the music and just having a nice Caribbean time. There were a few police milling around, but there was no fried plantain to be found. A big disappointment for me as I was soooo looking forward to this. I did, however, try Souse. Now, for those of you who don't know what Souse is, I'm going to challenge you to do a little research on your own. This is important as I get the idea of what Souse is, but I can't explain it myself, ESPECIALLY if you don't want it to turn out like the Swari/Soiree mishap from the misinformation I've received on the streets of Guyana. Suffice it to say that the one I tried was made with chicken foot (It can be made with different things starting with the heads of pigs and moving on...). I don't know what it was sitting in, but it was not hot, although I expected it to be a little soup/broth. I refused to try the liquid, but I did taste some of the toes. All I can say is... they were cooked. :) It was ok.

Other than all of this, Berbice remained as I remembered it the first time I went. Filled with cows, horses, donkeys, dogs, goats, sheep? either on the side of the road or trying to cross as cars fly down the road. Did I have a good time in Berbice?

I did, but what I'm really looking forward to is my journey to Regions 7, 8 and 9 in a couple of months. Stay tuned...

2 comments: