Wednesday 15 August 2012

Packages and such

I KNOW that all of you wanted to send me care packages. I just do. Is it that you've been waiting for me to tell you what to send? I don't know for sure, but I'm going to tell you about my experience so far with the Georgetown P.O.

On June 18th a friend in Toronto sent me a book.....             .................             ......................


Yes, there was a looong wait. And wait. And there was more waiting. Naturally I figured, there was probably something amiss with the address. So, I decided that the book was lost forever more, and I moved on with my life. It came somewhere around the end of July. Finally. The address was correct. What was the hold up? I will never know. So, does it take SIX weeks for mail to come from Toronto to Georgetown? Hmmm.

One last experiment. (And at this point I do  mean LAST). I asked someone to go to the dollar store and buy me two light items. Some headbands. These I did want, but figured that if I never got them, I wouldn't die. They were mailed to me on the 26th of July. One week later they were in Georgetown. ONE week!! The only thing is that this time I received a slip to come and collect a parcel. GROAN. I'm way too lazy. Did I need this? The slip also indicated that the handling charge was $500. Now, at Gy$200:Cdn$1, the package value to me was about $400. And it was a gift. And now I had to pay more than the price of the gift just for HANDLING??? I shook my head and groaned.

Someone also mentioned that was not the final price and taxes would be added when I got there and they assessed the goods. Sigh. Anyway, I finally made it to the post office because I was told that if it stayed more than a week they would likely charge me Storage Fees as well!!!  I was beginning to think this was a BAD experiment. Whose idea was it anyway?

So, I made it to the main P.O. in Georgetown yesterday morning. (I was afraid to take any pictures lest I was arrested). The place has no "front door, but rather just an opening into an "arcade-type" building. I found the section where Parcels were delivered. there were a few people there. I waited. I noticed a couple of people handing in slips. I waited. And then I noticed a sign that said parcels delivered 8:30-10:45a.m. Or something like that I can't remember the other times that were on it. I wondered what that meant. Did that mean the delivery truck was out at during those hours, so if you're expecting a package that's the time they would come to your house? I looked at the clock on the wall. 10:40a.m. A moment of panic. I had to get back to work. This would be a BAD story if they closed at 10:45 and I didn't get through. Oh boy!

A few minutes later a gentleman who had noticed me standing there came up and asked if there were anymore slips? I quickly handed him mine. He took it and promptly picked up a big standing sign and placed it atop the desk. CLOSED!  In Your Face! They were not playing!

Phew. Lucky. But, do they really do that? They do. I watched an argument with a man from Europe who told them not to open his parcel because he had diplomatic immunity.
"You've signed a convention he said. You can't open it"
The girl went and checked with Customs. Came back. Apologized and started to tape the box back up.

My turn. The girl looks at me. Cuts open my package. Indicates to the customs officer that it's hair stuff and goes away. Eventually she comes to me and tells me I have to wait while they "assess" the taxes. hmmm. worry. Ay Caramba!

Finally I get called and handed the slip back to go and pay. $200 in duty and another $200 in taxes!!!!!!!!  I'm now paying $900 for a free gift worth $400. WTF?!!?!?!?!?!  I had more waiting at the very meticulous cashier who was taking his time spelling the words and dutifully stamping everything! Then I had to wait on the same girl who had served me before to go collect my package and examine it, examine my paid slip, Stamp that, give me a paper to sign that I'd received the package. Some more stamping. Finally it was in my hand!

Are you still thinking of sending me a Care Package????!?!??!!!   ]:)

6 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I actually remember when Ja was like this. Had to go to the Central Sorting Office to pick up a package mailed to me from US. This was maybe 12 yrs ago. Inefficiencies untold but still was not as bad as your exp.
    Rest assured...No care packages from me missy!
    Lata
    SB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm REALLY not planning to go back to the P.O. I bought some stamps to mail letters to my mom... but it's so hard to find a post box to drop them off in... I still have the stamps in my wallet. Souvenir you say? Yes!

      Delete
  2. Mi would a lef di package wid dem, kmt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh truss mi Nikki, I thought about that. Right up to when I was handing the cashier my money! LMAO

      Delete
  3. LMAO....no front door LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's like walking into the plaza. But then, instead of having individual offices that the public can walk into, there's just one big open section that is roped off for persons lining up to go to the counters. A little weird. Oh well.

      Delete