Monday 27 August 2012

Living in Guyana's houses

Did you know that the walls in the houses in Guyana don't go all the way to the ceiling? Okay. Maybe that's not the case for EVERY last house, but that's the general style. Now I may have mentioned this in a previous blog, along with the fact that the houses are built on "stilts" in Georgetown since Georgetown is below sea level. (Hence the Sea Wall as seen in early posts).

When I was coming to Guyana I first heard about this phenomenon of dividing walls not hitting the ceiling. I immediately thought of those cubicles in washrooms that don't hit the ceiling or the floor. Hmmm. Talk about lack of privacy. I was maybe 40% concerned. After all, I wasn't moving here with my husband so there would be no hanky-panky with a house-mate next door, but I still worried about it. And what about the bathrooms???  But, I decided not to worry about it too much, as there was NOTHING I could do about this. So, I just hoped for the best.

I was fortunate. Very fortunate. The house I moved into was a regular house with full height walls! Of course, that probably also means my house is HOT since the walls that don't meet the ceiling are designed for better air flow and to keep the houses a leeeetle cooler. I've also seen some houses where the bathroom walls stop short too. VERY WEIRD. I think. Good enough I don't have to deal with THAT. But, here are some pictures of different walls as I've seen them since I've been here...


   No pun intended, but don't you think it's COOL? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment