Saturday 11 February 2012

My Impressions...1

NOT BAD.  So, even though it was hot... NOT as hot as I expected. (Probably because it is the rainy season - although it hasn't really rained much). So, I'm surviving. The nights are actually quite cool. We don't even have our fan on tonight, but we've left our windows open since we got here. I may even require a light blanket more nights.
Haven't gotten to unpack yet as I'm still in the guest house for orientation. Learned where I was gonna live, that it's a 3-brm place (spare bedroom, yay!), with a balcony (yay), upstairs (Yay), and the reason we haven't been able to move in yet is because the landlord is putting in an awning and doing some other little fix-its (yay). I hear it's "party-friendly" and so I'm looking into hosting some dominoes and kalooki... YAY!!!
Also met a Ja'n who's here who sadly will be leaving in August.
First drink up - Hibiscus
We went across the road for a drink on our first night.  And some of the older senior volunteers invited us newbies for drinks last night, but I'm staying in after sneezing all day with a sinus fit.  :(
Walking on the sea wall

Mini-bus
The place is easy to walk through. We've done quite a bit. Went to the sea wall yesterday. Today we walked back to the guest house after orientation. The mini-buses are ever-zooming, and there is a constant hub-bub.

We've been fed and fed here. Only thing... no dessert. :(  Will soon solve that though...
Tomorrow we go "shopping". Some people need cell phones, etc. but for the most part it's a where to get what tour. On Sunday is a potluck.
Nuff forms to fill out. Visas, tax id number, office-volunteer id., etc. All in all not bad. Internet is the worst of the deal so far... Oh well!

1 comment:

  1. Why am I not surprised about you looking into hosting some dominoes and kalooki? Not to mention your thoughts of changing the "lack of dessert"!
    Go Jan; by the time you leave there, Guyana will not be the same :-)

    ReplyDelete