Sunday 19 February 2012

Culture SHOCK! Or Cultural Adaptation?

...is a normal physical and psychological reaction but not necessarily a negative thing. It is simply inevitable and should be regarded as an opportunity for growth. You leave your home country and arrive in a new country and experience the HONEYMOON STAGE.

Honeymoon
Initially there is enthusiasm, a positive attitude and excitement. This is the start of a roller coaster ride with peaks and valleys. The length of time and intensity of the peaks are totally variable depending on the individual. So, as I sit here in my honeymoon phase, enjoying this strange country, Guyana, I am on the lookout for the next phase and wondering how (and when) it's going to hit me.

Culture Shock being the second phase will bottom out with discouragement, fatigue, frustration (I can see that happening), homesickness, boredom, anger and other such stresses. Most people react to this by fight or flight (isolation, drugs, alcohol, etc). Withdrawal is also very common in this stage. However, as one recovers (Recovery Stage) you may establish routines, get more interested in work, get your energy and sense of humour back and begin to feel more constructive and less judgemental of your surroundings.

Finally, in the fourth stage (Adjustment Stage) you become more adventuruous and seek new opportunities, feel more motivated and accepting. But, wait. You think it's over then? Oh no no no no no. This is a cycle and we can all cycle through it time and time again. There are many strategies to cope with all the different stresses and realties of this life. What will I do? Hopefully you (all my friends out there) will remind and reassure me often about the good in all this and keep me on the straight and narrow...

I just wish I'd known this all the other times I'd travelled and this should indeed be communicated to all the people suffering through the cold in the Tdot who miss their "home" country. Selah!

Feel free to comment and question these theories by the experts... :)

4 comments:

  1. WOW, you taught me something new today. Thanks!

    There is always good in voluntary service. You will be blessed for sacrificing the luxury you are accustomed to so as to carry out the good you are doing. Hats off to you. The world needs more volunteers.

    P.S. I hope you will constantly be in the 3rd and 4th stages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilly, she hasn't reached that stage yet and as such, my wish is that she will remain in honeymoon world.

    ReplyDelete