Saturday 10 March 2012

Kumaka

We walked from the guest house into town to get food.  This was to save us from the guest house prices, but I’m sure expensive is spelt the same way no matter where you are in Region 1. I was disappointed in the bbq pork, so decided I would have fried chicken the next day. But, I’m not going to talk much about the food – including the curry turtle and the deer, because I haven’t told you about the guest house yet.
Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica... tourist country. Where the Guest Houses are guest houses. But, this is Guyana, and the regions no less, so... standards are a little different.


I'm convinced this is a hilly region as everything I had to go to was up on some hill. Getting to the guest house was no less challenging...

Here is my room. With the mosquito net that doesn’t quite cover the bed.  The net that was holey enough that I woke with a bedmate my first morning. And it wasn't anything as small as a mosquito. Thankfully it wasn't a snake...



 The balcony doors which are just screen doors that pull shut.

The bathroom where if you sit on the toilet you will bang your head on the basin. (Sorry I didn't catch that in the pic, but I'm sure you get the idea).

And the shower where the shower floor is covered with the shower curtain because it’s so “long”. J





A guest house where I had to adopt spiders, beetles, moths, other unidentified bugs, houseflies and naturally, ANTS. I was afraid I would wake up one morning and the ants would be trying to lift me over the balcony wall... ANTS!!!! But, let me not get carried away with small details.

So, there is no electricity in many of the communities. Where I was living for the past few days, there was no electricity in the day. Thank goodness we did have water though. And at 5p.m. there were lights... Except for when there was a powercut at 5:15 one day – and then there was no light...                        There were four channels on the TV. One Peruvian – in Spanish, one which switched between news and a frozen pic, and a “movie” channel. But, I’m trying not to snicker. It was better than nothing at 8p.m. after my colleague had gone to bed. And because there was nought else to do... I watched...
On days when we were caught between returning from the school trips and 8p.m. – we played dominoes (just the two of us), because I’d finished my book the first day. Why hadn’t I brought more than one book? Oonu did want the plane bend under the weight??? TWENTY pounds is all I was allowed. And, you have to remember, I had to carry extra clothes – in case I got wet on the boat... More on that tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I enjoy reading your blogs. They are hilarious! Please tell...what was your bedmate? I'm happy the ants didn't lift you over the balcony lol. How many times did you bang your head on the basin? God bless guest houses in Jamaica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye. I'm glad the ants didn't take me off, though we did have to throw out some food... I don't know what kind of bug it was. It was dead and squashed. Ewww. Wasn't that big though, so could've been worse.

      Delete