Thursday 15 March 2012

Life as it now stands...

So, I was chatting to one of my friends who asked me about music in Guyana. We spoke about how there was mainly reggae and soca as two main themes. "Which do you hear more", he asks. Now, I pondered this, but wasn't sure. I was hearing a lot of soca, but could it have been because Mash was coming up - and naturally, soca would play a big part in any street parade, right? So, Mash came and went, and I now have a response to that question. REGGAE and DANCEHALL rule the streets of Georgetown. I say the streets, because even as I type and the cars go by, I can hear the dancehall pounding. Now, I'm not sure how this began, but there is obviously a competition to see which car can play the music the loudest as they zoom by. I do come from a culture where loud reggae music in cars is not a foreign concept. However, THIS is by far a national standard that has been set. You think I'm kidding... listen to the car alarms going off as the last two cars went by! Need I say more???

But, there are other things happening as we speak. I was saddened this week by the death of a friend's father. I feel like I'm several countries away and can do nothing to help, but, still, I feel my friend's pain. May "dad" R.I.P.

I was also saddened because I realized this week that many of my friends who CLAIM they will come and visit will probably never get here. L Did I believe at first that they were gonna come? Of course! But alas and alad... I now fear otherwise.

FIVE weeks have gone since I've been here. My how time flies! Before I know it I will be halfway through this journey.  My goals for the year:
  • Be a useful resource to my workplace and learn a lot at the same time
  • Lose TEN unwanted pounds somewhere on the streets of Georgetown
  • Make some nifty friends here in Guyana (I've already started to do so)
  • Start a Calooki Crew
  • Remember my friends far and wide (even if they don't keep in touch with me)
  • Get to know Guyana - and any other places where opportunity presents itself
  • Don't worry be HAPPY!!!
  • Be all that I can Be!

2 comments:

  1. Love your goals. I still have about 10 months to get to Guyana so don't rule me out yet :-)

    Thought you knew that Reggae and Dancehall rule the world of music! Thanks Bob, Alton, Ken, Dennis, Beenie, Bounty and this list goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. I knew that!!! Go Tanya Stephens!!! :)

    And I know you will come... ;)

    ReplyDelete