Sunday 4 March 2012

"Workie"

What a week! I started work on Monday. The people in my office are really nice (so far)
J . Check me back later in the year for an update. J 
Anyway, we've really had a good week there I think. I had orientation, got the new strategic plan to read, and started doing some research for my report. Wednesday you all know by now was a shocker (see previous post about when it rains in Georgetown) . But, Thursday made up for it. My boss picked me up and we drove to Sophia (pronounced Saffire/Saffiyah) to pick up another colleague. Then we headed out past the University of Guyana whose football field looked like a large pond, and out unto the highway to get to the East Coast. It was really interesting to see how every mile or so was a new village??? Really people? Really? What's with all the villages? There are almost as many villages as people! I understand there are some villages with just three streets. And then I understand there is one village with a street that has seven churches on it. Does anyone know Church Street? J
Anyway, we went to visit a Mangrove rehabilitation project. Most of you may (or may not) know that in my past life I worked on environmental projects and so mangroves were right up my alley. It was very cool for me to be out there... except for trying to plod around in the size 12 men's "long" boots that I borrowed. I think it was a great project which showed lots of successes and the Ambassador from the European Union who was out with us obviously thought so too. http://www.guyanachronicle.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40099:ambassador-tours-expresses-satisfaction-with-eu-funded-projects&catid=2:news&Itemid=3
Fridays are dress down day in the office. Yay! I was clearly overdressed on Friday but I had a meeting out of office, and I'd rather have been safe than sorry. But, now I know... Jeans next week!!! Oh ye! And here's the best part... the office closes at 3:30 on a Friday. OHHHH YAAAYYY! (Said in my best barritone). J
I had my first run-in with a meat shop as I stopped to get some PORK for my newfound bredren who was cooking dinner. The meatshop on a whole was a tad expensive I thought. But then, most things in Guyana seem to be...
I continue to walk whenever and where-ever I can here. The roads are a bit rocky and it doesn't help my poor knee, but I think it's worth the exercise. And, of course I save on bus or taxi fare!!! It's still quite hot though. HOT. Am not any more used to this at the end of my third week. Especially on weekends. I think those days are surely hotter. Anyway, the pork dinner was great and we went to a party last night (another VSO leaving to go back home). Good thing this was just downstairs, so it worked well for me! It was sad in bits. She was much loved, and many expressed the good work she did here over her 2yr stint. It made me wonder... will I be successful at my job here? Will they also be appreciative of what I've done? Will the work live on???

3 comments:

  1. LMAO....Church Street.

    On another note, you will be very successful and your work will be appreciated. I'm speaking it into being and selecting the delete button on your doubts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok there goes those nice legs of yours....cut up foot....hope everything drys out there....hey it was 15 degrees on Wedneday and then -7 on Friday with blowing snow..weather in the Tdot is mad as well. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the commentary am learning a lot about this extremely interesting country. The guest house and its accommodation set new modern standards, I just wonder when you get to the Cricket facilities available what those outcome will be like. Interestingly following you.

    ReplyDelete