Friday 16 March 2012

Weekends in Georgetown, Guyana

It's Friday, Friday, Friday. And you KNOW how I love my weekends. Doan care if I have anything to do, I LOVE my weekends. So, I'm fixing up some chicken and black beans (and fried ripe plantains) for dinner, and going to settle into a night of pc games and maybe a movie. I will make sure to put some clothes to soak (apparently they forgot to install my washing machine so I have to hand-wash). Now, the thing about washing in Guyana, is the brown water. Did we speak about the water before? I don't recall, so let me just tell you... water coming out of the taps is BROWN. Now, truthfully, from what I'd heard before I came here, I expected it to be a tad browner, but, nevertheless, it's BROWN. Is water supposed to have colour? Is POTABLE water supposed to have colour? So, we boil and filter our water for cooking and drinking, but what am I to do with the wash water???

So, I'm going to soak my WHITE clothes  in brown water? How can that possibly make sense? A lot of bleach, and a little blue soap, and a lot of work, but it seems a pointless exercise to me. Might as well just sun the clothes! Probably better results.

Tomorrow after I've washed and hung them to dry (and collect dust that's blowing around), I will probably go to the supermarket. Now, every Saturday so far I've had a plan to go to the market. Sigh, but you know how your friend is lazY I mean tired? So, when the sun is hot like it is on weekends (Did I not tell you it's hotter on weekends?), I definitely don't feel like going all the way to the market. But, I will try to pick up a few things somehow, and maybe I can get some curry chicken or shake n bake going this w-end. MAYBE.

Yes, the vow to cook seems to have burnt up. I guess I like cooking too much to just abandon preparing meals totally. Plus, some things just aren't the same here. For example, I get fried plantain here, but, in Guyana they seem to fry it when it has just turned ripe. In fact, what's more popular is green fried plantain. Also yummy, burt for a different purpose. That reminds me of the fried green bananas grandma used to make. And, in fact, since her birthdate is coming up soon, I guess I'll try frying some green plantains the way they do here that weekend. But, back to the ripe fried plantains. In Jamaica, we tend to wait until they're RIPE, and then fry them when they're sweeeeeeet. You know what I mean, right JS and PD??? ;) So, if I want it like that I have to do it myself. Some time soon I will expound more on the food here.

On Sunday I've been invited to the National Park to go play some football. Now, I'm not going to get into much detail except to say, maybe it will be fun??? and at the very least, remember those dratted ten pounds? Maybe I could drop one up there. It's a big enough park. So, that's my weekend PLAN for the mo. What's yours?

4 comments:

  1. Fried green Plantain is always great if thats all they have for food in Guyana, I could live in Guyana for, Green Plantains, Brown water No!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you wouldn't BELIEVE how much these guys eat fried green plantains. I was quite surprised. But, it's all good. I love 'em! The brown water on the other hand you just have to get used to... :)

      Delete
  2. Football? This I have to see so take pics or better yet, have someone video you lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. It's not professional football Nikki. We're just going to kick the ball, have some fun and drop a half a pound. :)

    ReplyDelete